What’s an Email Preview? How are Email Previews generated in the new Litmus platform?
Note: The new Litmus platform is currently only available to Litmus Enterprise accounts.
An Email Preview is an individual screenshot from an email client or device. Email Previews are generated in the following ways:
- Sending in a draft of your email from your email provider, or starting an email from the syncing option: This will create one set of Email Previews, available in both Builder and Checklist.
- Pasting in your HTML into the Build or Test sections of the “New email” dialog: This will create one set of Email Previews, available in both Builder and Checklist. Note that Pasting into the “Approve” section only creates a Proof and does not generate any Email Previews.
- Uploading your HTML via a file storage integration: This will create one set of Email Previews, available in both Builder and Checklist.
- Sharing a Checklist or Builder will generate one set of Email Previews. No matter how many times the link is shared, the Email Previews will only be counted once.
- Clicking on “Run Email Previews” in Builder will generate one set of Email Previews. Note that Email Previews will not get counted if Email Previews have been generated and the HTML has not been changed. This avoids “double counting” Email Previews after emailing in or pasting has already generated them. For example:
- Pasting into the “Build” section generates a set of Email Previews
- Navigating to Builder and clicking “Run Email Previews” does not generate a new set of Email Previews. The first set is reused. Once the HTML is changed or updated, pressing Run Email Previews will generate a new set of Email Previews.
- Saving a Builder project when the Email Previews window is open will generate once set of Email Previews.
- Clicking on “Push” in Builder will generate one set of Email Previews, available in both Checklist and Builder.
We track Email Previews based on how many email clients are selected and how many Email Previews for those selected clients are generated. Your testing volume accumulates over the course of your monthly billing period and then resets at the start of each new monthly billing period. For example, if you are billed the 15th of each month (or for annual plans, if you started your plan on the 15th), your Email Previews will be counted from the 15th of the month to the 14th of the following month.
Email Preview limits vary by Litmus plan subscription:
- Basic offers up to 1,000 Previews per month
- Plus offers up to 2,000 Previews per month
- Pro offers up to 5,000 Previews per month
- Enterprise offers a customizable amount of Email Previews every month, based on the unique needs of your business
You can access a summary of your account’s usage over the last 6 months in your account settings. If your testing volume indicates your program might benefit from a more advanced Litmus plan, feel free to get in touch and we’d be happy to discuss this with you.