How to Utilize the Litmus + Asana Integration
The Litmus + Asana integration is not currently supported in the new Litmus platform. We do have plans to support it in the future.
The Litmus + Asana integration allows Litmus users to sync their Litmus Checklist with an Asana project, providing stakeholders with full visibility of the status of email production tasks without hopping between tools. Syncing Litmus Checklists will help stream the production and communication process, enabling teams to get more email campaigns out the door, faster.
Syncing a Checklist with Asana allows users to:
1) Append a Litmus Checklist to an existing task card in an existing Asana project directly from within Litmus
2) Create a new Litmus Checklist task card for an existing Asana project directly from within Litmus
Functionality once a Checklist is synced:
- All Litmus Checklist items (ie. Email Previews, First Impressions, Links) will appear as subtasks in the selected Asana task/project
- A link to the Checklist will be added to the Asana card’s description
- Information about the corresponding Asana project/task will be visible within the Litmus Checklist (via the “Task synced” button)
Within both platforms:
- If a task is completed in Asana or Litmus, it will automatically be updated in the other platform
How to begin syncing
To utilize the Litmus and Asana integration, you’ll need a paid Litmus account, as well as an Asana account.
Follow these simple steps:
- Log in to your Litmus account and either create a new Checklist, or open an existing Checklist.
- Click the “Task Sync: Off” button located in the top-right of the screen
- Select Asana from the side panel that appears by clicking the “Connect” button (if you have already connected your Asana account this will say “Sync” instead
- The side panel will refresh and you will be prompted to connect Litmus to your Asana account. To begin connection select “Authorize & Add Asana”
- A new tab will open and you will see a message from Asana asking you to grant permission for Litmus to access your Asana account. To enable syncing you must select “Allow.” This will link your Litmus and Asana accounts and the browser tab will close automatically placing you back in Litmus where the side panel will have updated (Note: If you have previously connected to Asana, this step will be skipped)
- Your Litmus and Asana accounts are connected. Select the Asana workspace and project you are working from the drop-down menus
- Choose if you wish to create a new task to represent your Litmus Checklist in the Asana project, or if you would like to add the Litmus Checklist to an existing task
- New task: You can revise the task name and add a description if you wish
- Existing task: Use the search function or list view to find the task you want to add the Litmus Checklist to
- Click the “Sync with Asana” button to complete the sync.
The Litmus Checklist will now be synced with the corresponding task in Asana. This will be reflected in the Checklist as the “Task Sync: Off” button will now read “Task Sync: On.” Clicking this will reveal the side panel and show the details of the project/task that the LItmus Checklist is synced with, as well as details of due date, owner, and a link to the task in Asana.
Viewing the tasks in Asana will now display a list of all Litmus Checklist items and their current status.
Checklist items can be marked as complete in either Asana or Litmus and their status will be updated in both tools.
What information gets shared and updated between Litmus and Asana?
Once a Litmus Checklist has been synced with an Asana task, there are a number of items that get shared between the two products and will update should they be changed during syncing.
- The task name: This can be updated anytime from inside Asana and will be reflected in Litmus.
- The task description: Upon syncing a Litmus Checklist, the description in the Asana task will be updated to contain the details of the Litmus Checklist that is synced, along with the date the sync began. The task description can be updated from within Asana. However, any task description will not be reflected or displayed in Litmus.
- Due date: This can be updated from within Asana and will be reflected within the Litmus Checklist “Sync summary.” Note: Due dates for individual subtasks will not be synced to Litmus.
- Checklist tasks: Marking any Litmus Checklist subtasks ‘complete in Asana’ will change their status in Litmus to ‘approved’ and vice-versa.
How do I stop syncing a Litmus Checklist with an Asana task?
To remove a Litmus Checklist sync, visit the “Sync summary” within the Litmus Checklist (by clicking on the “Task Sync: On” button in the top-right of the synced Litmus Checklist). Then click “Stop Sync.” Doing this will remove all Litmus Checklist subtasks and description from the task card in Asana.
How do I remove the Litmus + Asana integration (Revoking Authorization)?
Full users, admins, and account holders can set up or revoke the integration.
- In Litmus, visit Settings → Integrations → Asana
- Find the Asana profile you wish to revoke the authorization for and click the trashcan icon
- In Asana, visit My Profile Settings → Apps
- Find Litmus in the list of authorized apps that appear and select “deauthorize”
Note: Revoking authorization cause all synchronizations that are currently set up to cease.