ESP Sync for Marketo
Litmus ESP Sync for Marketo provides integration with a number of steps in the email workflow including Building, Testing and Analyzing email performance. With Litmus ESP Sync for Marketo you can:
- Automatically sync your email code and assets from Litmus Builder to Marketo while you build.
- When it’s time to review your email in Litmus Proof, Previews & QA, or when you run a full Spam Test, you can quickly select a draft email from Marketo to send into Litmus without switching back to Marketo to send it.
- Generate the Litmus Integrated Insights Report to combine email performance data from Marketo with subscriber engagement data from Litmus in a single view.
- Subscribe to the weekly Insights Digest.
Note: We currently only support syncing HTML to Templates for Marketo. We currently do not support the use of ESP Sync with Workspaces and Partitions in Marketo.
Setting up ESP Sync
Setting up Marketo requires four inputs to use as API credentials to your Marketo account. To authenticate, Litmus needs a Client Id, Client Secret, and the Identity URL and Endpoint URL. The first two come from creating an installed service, and the two URLs are copied from the REST API section of Marketo. Credentials can be entered from the "Export Menu" in any Builder view, or from the Manage ESPs page in settings. You can also connect your ESP from the Analyze section to get Integrated Insights.
Note: You will need to be a user in an Admin role for your Marketo account to complete the setup.
1. Create the API Role and API Only User In Marketo:
You need to create a Custom Service to connect to Litmus and associate that service with an API Only User in Marketo.
Use This quick start guide for Marketo REST API which shows how to set up a typical API service in Marketo. The first step is to set up an API role and then create an API user and give that role to the API user.
Permissions needed for Litmus ESP Integration
While you can grant all API permissions, Litmus only needs two permissions when creating the API Role to use ESP Sync:
- Read-Write Assets permissions to sync email designs.
- Read-Only Activity permissions to sync email performance activity to Litmus Integrated Insights.
Creating a new Role
- Click on the Users & Roles node on the left side of the Admin panel.
- Click "New Role" to display the modal below.
- Select the permissions needed: Read-Write Assets and Read-Only Activity
2. Create the Custom Service in Marketo
Once you have an API role and an API-Only user set up:
- Go to Admin > LaunchPoint
- Create a New Service (select Custom as the service type)
Once service is created, get the Client Id and Client Secret by selecting your service and clicking on View Details. In this example we named the service "Builder-Test"
- Clicking on View Details displays the necessary authentication details you'll need to provide to Litmus. You will need to paste the Client ID and Client Secret in the Litmus connect ESP dialog box.
- Go to Admin > Web Services
- Grab the Identity URL and Endpoint URL under the REST API section. You will need to paste these into the Litmus Connect ESP dialog in the next step.
3. Enter the details in Litmus
- You can now set up your connection to Marketo from the Settings > Manage ESPs page in Litmus Settings or from the Integrated Insights Report in Litmus.
- Select "Add a New ESP" or "Connect ESP".
- Follow the instructions to enter the details you copied from Marketo. You will need to enter your Identity URL, Endpoint URL, and the Client ID and Client Secret for the service you created.
Click Add & Authenticate ESP to complete the setup (make sure there are no spaces at the start of your Identity URL and Endpoint URL).
Your Litmus account should now be connected and ready to sync with Marketo.
Additional Details about using your new Marketo connection: