ESP Sync for Marketo
Litmus ESP Sync for Marketo provides integration with a number of steps in the email workflow including Building, Testing, and Analyzing email performance. With Litmus ESP Sync for Marketo you can:
- Automatically sync your email code and assets from Litmus Builder to Marketo while you build.
- When it’s time to review your email in Litmus Proof, Previews & QA, or when you run a full Spam Test, you can quickly select a draft email from Marketo to send into Litmus without switching back to Marketo to send it.
- Generate the Litmus Integrated Insights Report to combine email performance data from Marketo with subscriber engagement data from Litmus in a single view.
- Subscribe to the weekly Insights Digest.
⚠️ Important: The Integrated Insights Report and weekly digest leverage the Marketo Bulk Extract API, which has a daily limit of 500MB per day (Litmus will use a maximum of 250MB per day). If your Marketo account sends to more than 3 million recipients per month, your first Integrated Insights sync may take several days to complete. If you send to more than 15 million recipients per month, please contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org before initiating the report. Learn more here.
Setting up ESP Sync
Setting up Marketo requires four inputs to use as API credentials to your Marketo account. To authenticate, Litmus needs a Client Id, Client Secret, and the Identity URL and Endpoint URL. The first two come from creating an installed service, and the two URLs are copied from the REST API section of Marketo. Credentials can be entered from the Export menu in any Builder view, or from the Manage ESPs page in settings. You can also connect your ESP from the Analyze section to get Integrated Insights.
✏️ Note: You will need to be a user in an Admin role for your Marketo account to complete the setup.
1. Create the API role and API Only User in Marketo
You need to create a Custom Service to connect to Litmus and associate that service with an API Only User in Marketo.
Use this quick start guide for Marketo REST API which shows how to set up a typical API service in Marketo. The first step is to set up an API role and then create an API user and give that role to the API user.
Permissions needed for Litmus ESP integration
While you can grant all API permissions, Litmus only needs two permissions when creating the API role to use ESP Sync:
- Read-Write Assets permissions to sync email designs.
- Read-Only Activity permissions to sync email performance activity to Litmus Integrated Insights.
Creating a new role
- Click on the Users & Roles node on the left side of the Admin panel.
- Click New Role to display the modal below.
- Select the permissions needed: Read-Write Assets and Read-Only Activity.
2. Create the Custom Service in Marketo
Once you have an API role and an API Only User set up:
- Go to Admin > LaunchPoint.
- Create a New Service (select Custom as the service type).
Once the service is created, get the Client Id and Client Secret by selecting your service and clicking on View Details. In this example, we named the service "Builder-Test".
- Clicking on View Details displays the necessary authentication details you'll need to provide to Litmus. You will need to paste the Client Id and Client Secret in the Litmus Connect ESP modal.
- Go to Admin > Web Services.
- Grab the Identity URL and Endpoint URL under the REST API section. You will need to paste these into the Litmus ESP modal in the next step.
3. Enter the details in Litmus
- You can now set up your connection to Marketo from the Settings Manage ESPs page in Litmus Settings or from the Integrated Insights Report in Litmus.
- Select Add a new ESP or Connect ESP.
- Follow the instructions to enter the details you copied from Marketo. You will need to enter your Identity URL, Endpoint URL, and the Client ID and Client Secret for the service you created.
Click Add & Authenticate ESP to complete the setup (make sure there are no spaces at the start of your Identity URL and Endpoint URL).
Your Litmus account should now be connected and ready to sync with Marketo.
✏️ Note: If your team intends to sync to Marketo Campaigns, not just Templates, you must approve the Litmus Base Email Template in Design Studio. This can be found in Design Studio at the following path: Design Studio/Default/Email Templates/LitmusApi. There will be an email template in the LitmusApi folder—please ensure that is approved.
Syncing to Campaigns will use the 'From' name and email address of the Litmus user that created the email. Please be aware that subsequent syncs/saves will continue to use these details and will overwrite any change made in Marketo.
Additional Details about using your new Marketo connection: