Using Litmus with Salesforce Marketing Cloud
Every minute matters when it comes to creating great email. Litmus has several integrations with Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SFMC) that let you build and test emails—including those with personalized, dynamic content—without manually copying and pasting code between tools, saving time and streamlining your email workflow.
Litmus Salesforce Marketing Cloud integrations are available on Enterprise plans only.
This guide will help you start taking advantage of the Litmus integrations designed exclusively to help SFMC users improve their workflow. Choose an option below to learn more and get started:
- How to connect Litmus with SFMC
- Sync emails between Litmus and SFMC
- Test as you build in SFMC with Litmus Extension
- Access email previews within SFMC
- Test dynamic content in SFMC
- Get powerful, holistic integrated insights from Litmus & SFMC
How to connect Litmus with SFMC
Connect one or more SFMC business units to Litmus to automatically sync your code and assets while you build in Litmus Builder, easily import an email for final pre-send review and testing, and see an integrated view of the insights that matter most from both SFMC & Litmus.
Who can set up the ESP connection?
You or someone on your team will need Administrative rights on your SFMC account to get the information you need to complete the setup. Any Litmus user with Full (Content editor and Code editors), Admin, or an Account Holder role can configure the setup in your Litmus account.
How is the ESP connection created?
Follow these steps to set up an ESP sync between SFMC and Litmus.
Sync emails between Litmus and SFMC
ESP Sync for SFMC lets you automatically sync your email code and assets from Litmus Builder to SFMC every time you save. When it’s time for final pre-send testing, you can quickly import an email from SFMC to Litmus without ever switching tools.
How to sync an email from Litmus Builder to SFMC
From the “Builder” tab in your email project, choose “Export” and “Sync to ESP.” Connect your ESP instance or choose from connected ESPs. You can sync to “Templates” or “Campaigns” in SFMC.
Import an email for final review and pre-send testing
Choose “Create New” on the home screen in Litmus. Choose “Test” or “Collaborate” depending on whether you want to run automated pre-send tests or review your email in Litmus Proof. Click “Next”, and select your ESP in the “Choose an email from your email service provider” drop-down menu.
You can also start a Spam Test using ESP Sync. Click “Test” in the navigation bar, choose “View and create spam tests”, and click “Start a new Spam Test” in the upper right corner. Choose your ESP instance from the “Pull your email into Litmus” drop-down menu.
Test as you build in SFMC with Litmus Extension
The Litmus Extension in the Google Chrome browser can be used to easily test emails—including those with dynamic content—as you build in Salesforce Marketing Cloud, eliminating the hassle of switching between tools. First, install the Litmus Extension. Then, follow these instructions to easily test different versions of personalized content within SFMC.
Access email previews within SFMC
Litmus also has an integration directly within SFMC’s Email Studio’s Content Builder workflow that lets you test how your email will render across 100+ email clients and devices right within SFMC Email Studio (and wherever Content Builder and Journey Builder are used) at the subscriber level. This is helpful for ensuring that AMPScript personalization is rendering properly for subscribers in different segments.
Test dynamic content in SFMC
There are multiple ways to test dynamic content within SFMC:
Test broader segments at the rule level with Litmus Extension
- Log into the Salesforce Marketing Cloud and open the email you want to test in the “Content Editor” mode.
- Select the version of your email to test.
- Open Litmus Extension by clicking on the Litmus logo in your Chrome browser bar. If needed, log in to your Litmus Enterprise account. Litmus Extension will test how your email renders across popular email clients and check links, tracking, image blocking, and loading speed.
- Select another version of your email in Salesforce Marketing Cloud and hit “Refresh” in Litmus Extension to test each version in a single click.
Test individual personalization at the subscriber level with integrated email previews
- Log into the Salesforce Marketing Cloud and open the email you want to test in the “Preview and Test” mode.
- Select the subscriber list and subscriber you’d like to test.
- Click the Litmus logo, login to your account, and preview emails across 100+ email clients and devices.
- Toggle between subscribers to preview different versions of dynamic personalization.
Get powerful, holistic integrated insights from Litmus & SFMC
The Litmus Integrated Insights Report combines email performance data from your ESP with subscriber engagement data from Litmus in a single view, making it easier than ever to create more personalized experiences, optimize design and development, and improve campaign results.