ESP Sync for Salesforce Marketing Cloud
With ESP Sync for Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SFMC), you can automatically sync your email code and assets from Litmus Builder to SFMC while you build. When it’s time to review your email with Proof or Checklist, or run a Spam Test, you can quickly select a draft email from SFMC to view in Litmus without ever switching tools.
To connect Litmus to your Salesforce Marketing Cloud instance you need to set up Litmus as an Installed Package.
Note: You will need Administrative rights on your SFMC account to complete the setup.
Note: For your Installed Package to work properly, your SFMC account must have the All Subscribers List setting enabled. This setting is disabled by default and can be enabled by submitting a request through SFMC support.
- The first step is to create an installed package. Log in to Salesforce Marketing Cloud, click on your name in the upper right corner of the screen, and click Setup.
- Click on Installed Packages under Platform Tools > Apps in the left-hand menu.
- Click New, give the package a name and description, and click Save.
- Under Components, click Add Component, select API Integration, and click Next.
- Select the integration type Server-to-Server and click Next.
- In the permissions section select the following permissions, then click Save:
- Channels - Email: Read, Write, Send
- Assets - Documents and Images: Read, Write
- Assets - Saved Content: Read, Write
- Contacts - List and Subscribers: Read, Write
- Data - Data Extensions: Read, Write
- Provisioning - Accounts: Read, Write
- Once you click Save you will see the API Integration details for the Component you just created, including: Client ID, Client Secret, and Tenant subdomain. Keep this page open or copy these details somewhere safe so you can enter them in Litmus later to complete the sync setup. Note: the Tenant Subdomain can be found between the “https://” and “.auth” portions of the AuthenticationBase URI. The Tenant Subdomain should be a 28-character string starting in “mc” as shown below.
- To find your Tenant Instance (also referred to as Server Stack) you'll need to take a look at the URL in your browser’s address bar when you're logged into Salesforce Marketing Cloud. See this help article for more details.
- You can now set up your connection to Salesforce Marketing Cloud from the Settings > Manage ESPs page in Litmus. You will need to enter your Tenant Subdomain, Tenant Instance, and the Client ID and Client Secret for the API component you created in the previous steps.
- Click Add & Authenticate to complete the setup.
Your Litmus account should now be connected and ready to sync with Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
Connecting multiple Business Units with Litmus
You cannot create one API connection between Litmus and SFMC for use with all of your business units. You can create an Installed Package for each individual business unit by setting up ESP Sync for SFMC within each of them using the instructions above.
At this time, there is not a way to differentiate between business units when selecting the account to pull the email in from. You can click into each connection until you see the emails from the business unit you are working with. You can also create a subaccount in Litmus for each business unit and create the connection there, as connected ESPs are not shared across subaccounts.
For frequently asked questions about ESP Sync, see our FAQ page.