How do I start a new email test?
When you log in to your Litmus account, the first thing you see is your Dashboard which can be edited to your preferences. This is where you’ll be able to jump right into building, testing, and monitoring your emails as well as creating folders and managing emails.
Sending emails in to Litmus
Sending in to Litmus lets you test an accurate test send from your ESP and will visually match closest to what your subscribers will be getting. Emails sent into Litmus will include the ESP send-time HTML processing, which impacts previews and Proofs.
- Go to the Inbox using the link in the sidebar.
- If your personal Litmus email has been set up, it will appear at the top with a copy button.
- Paste that address into your ESP to send a draft. The email will arrive in the Inbox.
If you have NOT set up your personal test address you will see a prompt to create one. You can edit your Litmus address at any time at https://litmus.com/settings.
Create an Email in Litmus
Creating an Email in Litmus lets you bring an email directly into any folder. If you are on a Plus or Enterprise plan, you can also use Litmus' ESP integrations to send into Litmus without going to the ESP.
You can start from the Dashboard or any folder:
- From the Dashboard, Click "Create a New Email" to create a new email in the Inbox.
- From any folder, Click "New Email" button in the upper right. This will create the email in that Folder.
Using the New Email Dialog
- A new email is immediately created with a name of "Untitled" and a dialog box appears with options for importing your email into Litmus.
- Select "Build", "Approve" or "Test" depending on what stage you are in
- Within those options you can choose to email in, Sync via ESP integration, Paste HTML or Import from a file sharing service.
- Once you select a way to import your email into Litmus, you will be directed to the appropriate view of your email: Builder, Proof or Checklist.
To get back to the dialog box you can select "New Version" from the various email views.
Duplicating an Existing Email
You can also start a new email by duplicating an existing email. There are two places where you can duplicate an email:
Duplicating an email in the folder view
Within the folder view, you can duplicate an email by clicking on the breadcrumbs next to the created by field.
Duplicating an email in the email view
Within an individual email, you can duplicate an email by clicking on the breadcrumbs next to the email's name.
Creating projects and tests in Legacy Litmus
In the legacy version of Litmus Builder, Proof, and Checklist are separate disconnected tools.
- Navigate to that tool using the left hand navigation bar.
- Click "New Project"
Select the option to bring in your HTML or email
- Paste your HTML
- Send in your email
- Start coding your email from scratch in Builder
Quick Start Dashboard Options in Legacy Litmus:
To upload your HTML and create your project, simply enter a project name and paste your HTML into the empty box. After selecting the green button in the bottom right of the modal, your email will be displayed where you can start testing.
You can also write your HTML from scratch or simply select a pre-tested template that we provide for you (Builder only).
Sending your email in
You can send a draft email and this will prompt you to create your own Litmus static test address. You can save this email address and send to it anytime you want to create a new project or test, without having to manually copy and paste code. Once we receive your email, you'll see your Builder project, Checklist, or Proof displayed on the dashboard.
We highly recommend sending in your email directly from your email service provider (ESP) when using Checklist or Proof, as ESPs can change/alter your HTML template before your final send.