Troubleshooting Litmus Integrated Insights
Litmus Integrated Insights combines email performance data from your ESP with subscriber engagement data from Litmus in a single view. If you see an error or data doesn't match your expectations, these troubleshooting steps may help.
- If you connected your ESP in Litmus Settings or already have an ESP connection set up, select Generate report on the report page to start the process of creating the Integrated Insights report.
- You will get a notification email when your report is ready.
- If your report takes more than 1 hour to create, contact support for further assistance.
- The Integrated Insights Report is not compatible with Marketing Cloud Legacy Installed Packages.
Salesforce Marketing Cloud - Legacy Installed Packages
- ESP Sync connections in Litmus setup prior to July 2019 used a Legacy API that Salesforce no longer supports.
- Although these connections do still work when syncing HTML from Litmus Builder, we recommend you delete these connections and create a new Enhanced Package in Marketing Cloud to connect to Litmus.
- The Integrated Insights features do not work with Legacy Installed Packages. However, Integrated Insights features will become available once you upgrade your connection.
- If you have multiple business units connected to Litmus, integrated insights will default to the first connection.
- To upgrade your connection, create a new ESP connection in Litmus for Marketing Cloud.
Salesforce Marketing Cloud - Journey Builder
Currently, the Salesforce API we use to populate the Integrated Insights Report does not return data on emails sent via Journey Builder. If an email is sent via Journey Builder, it will not appear in the report.
When we pull the Campaign for the Integrated Insights Report we pull only the email and not the dynamic footer. If your Litmus tracking code is in your dynamic footer, we can not match up the tracking code to populate the Litmus Read Rate.
Using a custom Marketo token to dynamically include the tracking code in your email will prevent Integrated Insights from including the Litmus data in your reports. We recommend including the tracking code in your raw HTML.
Sync errors and issues
After the initial sync completes, your report will be ready to view. We then run ongoing sync to keep the data updated and refreshed at these intervals:
- Salesforce Marketing Cloud: Every 6 hours
- Eloqua: Every 6 hours
- Marketo: Twice daily
Sometimes the mail sync process has trouble receiving data from the ESP connection in your account. There are a number of reasons this may happen, some are temporary issues that resolve themselves, and some are more structural and need to be fixed by your ESP admin or Litmus admin.
- Temporary syncing problems
- Internet connection issues between Litmus and your ESP.
- Your ESP may be offline or under maintenance at the time of syncing.
- Export limitations or API usage limitations may have been hit in your ESP.
- Syncing problems that require intervention
- You no longer use or have access to the ESP.
- Your ESP API credentials have changed or have expired.
- The API connection has been deleted in your ESP.
Most temporary errors are resolved on the next sync.
If we detect a structural error, you will see the following warning notice on the report page:
We are unable to retrieve email performance data from your ESP
Possible solutions to sync errors
ESP Sync API connection
To get ESP sync to work for both Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Marketo, an API connection within the ESP needs to be set up to connect to Litmus. Check the connections in your ESP to make sure they are still active and have the correct permissions.
If the API connection in your ESP is still active but you are still having issues with ESP sync, it could be that you need to update the credentials in Litmus. Credentials include fields like Client ID and Client Secret, or in some cases like Eloqua, it is your username and password.
ESP credentials cannot be edited in Litmus. Visit the Manage ESP page in your settings and add a new ESP connection with the correct credentials. If the old ESP connection is not used, you can delete it.
Check export quota limitations in Marketo
For Marketo users, Litmus may not be able to sync your email data for many days in a row because we are hitting export quota limitations set by Marketo. Marketo export quota issues may be resolved by pausing other exports from Marketo, or you may be able to increase your limit.
Report contents issues
NOTE: If you have multiple ESP instances, Integrated Insights will provide information for the primary connection only. Any secondary instances will not be included.
Email thumbnail rendering issues
The Integrated Insights report generates the email thumbnails and full images of the emails based on the HTML provided by the ESP. This is a standard browser rendering of the HTML.
- In some cases, the HTML will contain AMPscript and code conditionals that will display in the renderings.
- Sometimes the ESP doesn't provide access to the raw email HTML that we generate the thumbnail from. In this case, the thumbnail will be empty.
Missing read rates and audience breakdowns
The Integrated Insights report generates the Read Rates and Audience breakdown data only if a Litmus tracking code is used in the email.
No View detail links
- If an email does not contain a Litmus tracking code, then we can’t provide audience details or read rate for that email.
- If an email tracking code was created on another account and is not accessible by the account that the report is in, then the report will not link to the tracking code report.
- If multiple emails have the same tracking codes, then the Read Rate and Audience details will be the same for all the emails which contain that tracking code.
- Litmus tracking codes count total opens, not unique opens. The total opens in the Litmus tracking code report will usually exceed the unique opens that your ESP provides for the open rates.
- Open rates are calculated on unique opens which is the first open of an email. Litmus tracking codes report total opens.
Turn off the Integrated Insights report
- If you no longer wish to use the Integrated Insights features, you must delete the ESP connection in Litmus Settings. Once you delete the connection, the report will be removed, subscribers will no longer receive the Insights Digest, and Litmus will no longer sync any of the email performance metrics from your ESP.
- If you still want to use other features of Litmus ESP sync, you can reconnect your ESP from Settings. The Integrated Insights features will not get enabled unless you visit the report or Analyze page and select Generate report.
- If you connect your ESP from the Analyze section or the performance reports area, then Litmus will start syncing your email performance for the Integrated Insights report. Once you generate the new report, metrics for the last 30 days of sent emails will be synced.